News Limited Young Lions winners: Iggy and Carew make it two years in a row

2008 Young Lions - Group with John Hartigan -WEB.jpgUPDATED: News Limited today announced the Australian Young Lions winners who will be attending the Cannes Lions 2008 International Advertising Festival in June to represent Australia.

Young Lions Print winners:
Justin Carew, DDB Sydney
Iggy Rodriguez, DDB Sydney
Young Lions Cyber winners:
Andrew Fergusson, Tequila
Natalie Cheng, Tequila

Young Lions Media winners:
Robert Wynn-Jones, ZenithOptimedia
Kate Martin, Ikon communications

It's the second year in a row Carew and Rodriguez (pictured left of the pic above with the Cyber and Media winners and News chief John Hartigan) have won the Australian competition (their winning work is shown below). Last year they came second in the world at Cannes, winning a Silver Lion, the best Australian effort ever.

"Cannes has long been regarded as the pinnacle of creative excellence and I am pleased that this year it has been extended to include the media category," said Garth Agius, Group Director of Marketing: Advertising and Integration, News Limited.

slsc1.jpgslsc2.jpgslsc3.jpg "The Young Lions program is a terrific opportunity to mix with the best in a world-wide competition. Winning a Young Lions has been known to have a significant impact on the career of up-and-coming talent.

"We wish our Young Lions all the best in the competition. Hopefully they'll come home with a win!" said Mr Agius.

2008 Young Lions winners will represent Australia in the Young Lions Competition, which takes place during the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival, 15th - 21st June 2008.
The Young Lions will be briefed, to create and execute a campaign within 24 hours. The Australian teams will compete against up to 39 other representatives from all over the world for the prestigious Gold Medal which will be awarded at the Festival.

News Limited will provide the winning Australian teams a Young Lions registration to the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival, which allows access to all the Cannes seminars, awards ceremonies, showcases and material. Their airfares and accommodation will also be paid by News Limited.

In addition to competing, the Australian Young Lions will be able to visit and participate in the Young Lions Zone which includes, ten master classes, interactive kiosks showcasing entries, winning work from all Young Lions Competitions, a chill-out café and exhibitions of student work from advertising colleges and universities from across the globe.

For the latest update on the Cannes International Advertising Festival visit: www.ozcannes08.com.au

are these the two most punchable faces in the industry?

Iggy, Justin, may I be the first to say congratulations.

Well done to two great guys. Enjoy some sun and debauchery in Cannes gentlemen.

Holy shit they presented the SAME IDEA!

Well done guys great stuff!

p.s. I hate you

Show us the work!!

when can we see the winning entry?

hit that ozcannes08 link and you can see the winning entry down the bottom...

Hey Lynchy,

Where did the belt-up x-ray ads from yesterday go???????????

Roy said:

Iggy

Congrats to you and Justin. I'm completely jealous and will probably never ever speak to you again.

Enjoy yourselves.

This whole thing has been a fucking farse this year. Two DDB judges...and to top it all off the winning idea isn't even a print ad. Toying around with young people's lives and careers like this is very upsetting.

This isn't about Iggy and Justin. They are great. It's about the judges. You should be seriously ashamed. Everyone else played by the rules. It says young lions 'print' winners. For fucks sake.

Just to change the subject, the new rugby ad from singos is excellent, I mean excrement.

How are Cairnsy and Eza going in Clio?

Tear it up Juzz!

Age said:

Holy shit! Congrats Nat, that's freakin awesome!
Ride with the Colonel... ride.

I'm having a little trouble understanding what's so good about this idea without being able to read the copy. Is there a higher res version floating around?

Well done Andrew and Natalie.... top people... should make a top team at cannes.

Glad I didn't get around to doing that brief with a before I left.

Go hard.

Go Fergatron, you're a legend.

McCanns are still buzzing from the PR that came with having a team in the finals.

A big call from 12:16pm...I guess someone was gonna say it though.

Okay, the work; was that it? A flag on top of the sports section saying swim between the flags? Geez.

There's no doubt that these two guys have talent and I hope they can do one better this year at Cannes.

But the winning entry (from what I can see without the description copy) isn't what I thought it would be. It's more of a media placement idea than print. But then again I read somewhere that the idea also extended out to towels, thongs etc which sounds interesting.

I don't think it's fair to blame the judges either , these guys took the brief and furthered it I guess. What's your definition of print? Obviously they took it as any place you can print on (rather than just newspaper/magazine) which fits with their entry.

Congratulations to the winners and well done to the finalists. Do we get to see their work too?

Is there more to the idea than the flags in each corner? whats the copy say?

Onya Fergo! The Wow Factor strikes again.

SHOW US THE BLOODY INTERACTIVE WORK, NOW!

"The Young Lions competition for young advertising professionals, challenges those who are at the start of their career in the media, advertising and marketing communications industry. The competition identifies upcoming young talent who may be the Cannes Lions winners of the future."

How this applies to a team who won the previous year is beyond me.
Not their fault, of course. With the current system the guys from DDB would be mad not to have a crack, but it hardly seems fair. Surely the fact they won last year means they are well on their way to success, and don't need a leg up.

So there's flags in the top corners of the newspaper, and it says SWIM SAFE BETWEEN THE FLAGS. Then what, does it only appear in the sunlight or something?

Those two old guys are going to love going to cannes with the five chicks in the photo.

for fuck sake. whats that mean.

1. That is not a "print" ad
2. Two of the judges are/were from DDB
3. How does that raise awareness about the water dangers?
4. My work was better

Lynchy, will you be posting the finalists up?

Melbourne said:

So its for the PRINT comp at Cannes.
The brief was for a PRINT ad.
And yet the winning entry wasn't a PRINT ad at all.

What is the point of setting guidelines?

Did that ad win? bloody hell, didn't anyone else enter?

Please tell me there's more to that idea than it seems, FFS.

It's a tequilarama!

do we get to see the finalists' work?

You can tell how many guys under the age of 28 post on this site judging by the amount here.

Now we know where all the venom comes from.

another scam from DDB, oh dear!

Well, 2:54, guys over 28 should have more important things to do.

This is a JOKE!
That's not a print ad - It's a cheap media idea.
Show the REAL work. Let the REAL work be seen!!
You can't hide it forever.

re. Where's the x-ray ads gone from yesterday? They're still up on best ads.

Wear Gingham to succeed .................

Sophie said:

NAT - you are a star and have i always known it! Hope you guys kick some serious butt in Cannes and show them how it's done!!!

2:54 why do you act surprised? The bulk of the industry hardly makes it past 30.

I'm 33 and I don't think they should be going to Cannes. I think they should be going back to the drawing board. Average at best; wouldn't make finalist at MADC, that's for sure.

maybe the idea of the exercise was to show your creative abilities in a print environment. The kind of creativity that would do well at the comp in Cannes. Not just do "a print ad".

A clever use of media and small space graphics that I think looks bloody good and would get my attention much more than just another regular ad in the paper.

well done. have fun in Cannes. Bastards...

Forgive us all for not thinking outside the box. We must have been misinformed by the section of the competition that said "submit one print ad". I don't care if it's the best fucking idea in the world, it's not a fucking print ad.

Hey Lynchy. Can you forward these comments on to News Limited? I think they might be interested. This competition has been seriuosly compromised this year. I would be so disenfranchised if I was a junior who entered this comp. Of course an idea stands out if they ignore the rules. This is so crap.

I would like to see the work of the Tomahawk - Show us his entry.
Tom-a-hawk......Tom-a-hawk.........Tom-a-hawk...

This is really disappointing. Where is the big, fresh idea? Where is the original thinking? What the fuck is the idea?. Swim between the flags? Wow that is genius! What happened to this competition it used to have unexpected original solutions. It's not Iggy and Justin's fault - have a good time in Cannes boys. But this is shit. These comps are not going to be worth winning. It certainly doesn't make the creatives look good. I say we boycott the sponsor (news) so they freak out and get in some judges who are looking for the thing they are trying to promote - decent ideas.

How many hundred times have we had a 'swin beteween the flags ad/ billborad/ tvc...'...thousands. for Chrissakes, its crap by pretty boys with their unlces judging it...

It could be a caxton.....

Aside from that I'm not going to rant or rave because I stuck to the guidelines with my entry, instead next time I'll take the hint and look outside the rules as long as the idea is good.

The competition was run flawlessly this year in comparison to last. With regard to those making comment about there being 2 judges from DDB on the panel, you might want to re-check the judges.

There was one judge who works for DDB the other that I presume people are referring to represents Saatchi, previously of DDB, I think his loyalties would almost certainly lay with his current agency. Regardless of this, whoever the winning creatives are, there is likely to be a judge from their respective network/agency on the jury if it is coming from a top ten agency.

Would we be having the same debate should a creative from Saatchi have won?

We should remember the Young Lions competition concerns the best work from Australia being presented in conjunction with the rest of the world, not rival agencies.

I read the paper everyday and have never seen it. I think DDB is just producing scam ads.

Fourteen said:

Boo hoo Justie & Iggy won, agian.... nut up people, those who have won a medal at Cannes may comment.

And as for "hey I'm 33" what are you doing worrying about the junior comp? I heard there is an opening for an office boy at Saachi's, I suggust you put on your Sunday best and knock 'em dead... oh and i like it white with one thanks sport.

9.32

Comment of the year.

Very funny.

Hang on. What a load of crap. it's a bleedin rort!

Anyone who does proper ads would know that from a production point of view you can't print full colour in that outside of typesafe area of a newspaper. It's on (and beyond) the edges of the plate.

At this rate of ridiculousness, it won't be long before someone wins a trip to mars for wearing the best matching shirt and trouser.

Yes, would be interesting to looking the interactive work. I am from overseas, I've heard about Tequila and The White Agency in Ausrtralia. Please post the work. Bye

'winning idea isn't a print ad'.

If this is true, can mr agius tell us the thinking behind totally fucking off the parameters set in the brief? The most fundamental being - 'submit a print ad'.

i got sent this link today - it's from one of the other finalists in Cyber, Zoe Warne & Matt Agar from August

August were the little guys against all the big agencies - go zo and matt!

big congrats to the tequila guys, but this idea is also pretty awesome... would love to see the other cyber finalists... if anyone else has been sent links, put em up!

Come on, I saw one of our teams enter the same idea, only using the obituaries. I'm not saying they should have won, but you could at least have picked an idea that wasn't entered twice. But that would have meant someone not from DDB would have had to win.

10:18pm, welcome to Oz. It ain't the white agency, it's the shite agency.

The idea that won in cyber was much more interactive (and therefore better) than the idea posted by 12:29 which was merely a passive playback.

And Iggy and Jus work their arses off constantly. This result, like all their others so far, is no fluke.

the other finalists should just submit links to their ads. if they're actually PRINT ads, i don't see too many of us tearing into them.

MMMM nice print work. I smell a rat.

Com'n.... this is detrimental to the industry. A print ad is surely a print ad. No wonder we are seen as a bunch of tossers.

It’s got GOLD…Surely?? –
Lorgina Potsworthy –
Branded Imaginary Impulse

there's an incredible amount of eyebrows in the DDB creative department.

Amazing you would say that, 5:30

Last year, our team entered the same idea that won Justin and Iggy the Earth Hour comp. Wtf?!

I agree - forward this to Garth.

Don't blame Iggy and Carew. Don't blame the judges.

I know how hard it is to get entries through at Cannes. If they submitted their idea in the print category, would it get judged? No fucking way. It would get bounced by some chick in admin long before a judge saw it. But Garth and his admin squad decided their rules didn't matter.

Q: Did Earth Hour get any metal in print? Did Tap Project? Two brilliant ideas that according to Agius should have picked up every Grand Prix at the show.

Send them to Cannes. They came up with a great idea. But it isn't a print ad.

Garth. It's time to announce the PRINT winners.

Is there any way we can see a high res version of the winning work? It's pretty ridiculous to be laying out all this fucking commotion without actually being able to read what the idea is - which I hope is a little more that what we got from that thumbnail.

A Suit. said:

Guys, you want ads that are less scam-like and more real, well how real can you get? Sometimes clients buy what creatives don’t prefer. Sometimes they ask for a print ad, but buy much something cooler. Isn’t that how we win REAL awards? If creativity and winning awards is all about pushing the boundaries, then how can we criticise these guys for doing just that? They could have entered a 'typical' print ad and chose not to. This could have worked one of two ways - it could make them win, or it could make them be counted out. But this time it made them win.

How many meetings I have sat in as a suit where the creatives have told me to be braver, push the envelope and present something that isn’t 'the usual' and now the creatives are bitching because when THEY were set a clear brief and THEY had to present it on themselves, they weren’t willing to take the chance at pushing the envelope.

Maybe there is a lesson in there, but at the very least two very talented creatives are going to have a blast in Cannes. Congratulations Juzzy and Iggster - I’m packing my things for your case as we speak.

ON THE PRINT IDEA.
It is a print Idea. However it ain't good advertising. Swim between the flags... Hmmm... Really? I never knew that. This is just an execution of info that everyone knows and does nothing in the real world. If I was a punter and I saw that as an idea I would think wow, that's really clever. And that's it. Does it get me to look at the dangers of water any differently. No. If we're encouraging this sort of thinking in the industry we should be shot. The guys are talented. And their ad last year in my opinion should have won the gold lion. I think I'm not alone there.
I do feel in this case that there was a bit of favouritism in the judging. Those two should NEVER have been together on that panel. Shame on you guys. To everyone that did work their tails off and had a better ad that's the business. Having been on many award juries I can say that awards always come down to subjectivity but more so the calibre of the judges. The best illustration of this was the Radio grand prix at Cannes for snickers. It didn't pick up a thing at the MADC. So don't bitch and moan too much. Just get on with it. Do the real stuff. It's only the real work for the really big clients that will give you a career. A highly rewarding, respected and highly paid one anyway.

10:35 - Every month millions of dollars are put behind executions that purely focus on something people already know. It's called brand awareness. In this case the flags are the brand. People see the "print" ad, they remember it because it stood out, they go to the beach and the flags are top-of-mind. Job done!

The REALLY funny bit was when the Surf Lifesaving client got up at the function (just before the winner was announced) and said the great thing for him was that there were heaps of ideas that "weren't about swimming between the flags, because everyone already knows that".

And then... the winner is a don't swim between the flags idea.

This comp is the funniest, most fucked up shit I think I've ever heard of.

10:22...No one is criticizing the guys. In fact, quite the opposite. And I really don't feel like a competition like this is the place where you reward people for breaking the rules.

Look at it this way. If you go to compete in the Olympics, let's say in figure skating because it's funny, there are a set of rules that everyone has to abide by. If you break them, you get disqualified. You can't skate for an extra minute and add in three more jumps and then say, 'but i went above and beyond. I showed my creativity'. The true test of a competition like this is to see what you can do with the tools you are given.

And I'm afraid that's the way it is at the Cannes Young Lions competition in France. Everyone gets access to the same images, a computer and a brief. They are instructed to come up with a print ad. Level playing field. Anything else will be kicked out because it is irrelevant and is not the assignment. Cannes knows that awarding something like that would be seen as unfair. I still can't believe the two creative directors who know these two were allowed on the jury and now those guys are off to Cannes. It makes me sick to be honest.

Now can News Limited please take it on the chin and show us the finalists and the winner. I know a lot of people who killed themselves to try and win this.

You know what REALLY sucks? I urged an awful lot of young people to STICK to the brief. And they did. And their work was great. But now I feel like a dickhead because I should have told them to go ahead with all their integrated and interactive ideas. I'm sorry, but it's really fucking easy to do a campaign that extends beyond one medium. Like a fucking promo or starting a fucking fashion label. It's really hard to be disciplined and do something great on a piece of paper.

Who do I send my letters of darkness to at News Limited. Can you give us a contact?

Bill said:

I hope they don't swim between the flags in Cannes and drown.

i don't see any finalists rushing to defend their ads

Suit, you're a knob. Every creative worth his salt can take a brief further. However, when the brief says "one print execution" and you're in a competition, you tend to follow the rules. No disrespect to Iggy and Justin but fuck me, if we all had our ECDs on the jury then maybe we'd all know "one print execution" actually meant do whatever the fuck you want. That's why there's a lot of pissed off people and rightly so.

maybe iggy will be too old to enter next year, that's why he and justin got it. hmmm

11.08. Please refer to 11.25.
Millions of dollars are spent by brands doing this I agree. They're usually cars. I.e Polo small but tough. It's called owing a property. I just don't think that same thinking is applicable to the Surf lifesaving. again please refer to the client's comment posted in 11.25.

Again the winning ad ain't great. If you think that that is the sort of advertising that makes people look at something differently you may want to refer to D&AD and One show.

If that strategy came from a planner I'd be asking him why we pay him. If you don't think that strategy is important stick to writing ads for lolly pops.

The DDB PR Machine continues. Which is exactly what the intention of putting Rodriguez & Carew through.

Simon Hipgrave said:

Here is a link to our Ad:

To be honest, we are a little confused by the winning entry, but its hard to figure out exactly what it is all about without getting a closer look at the copy.

All shit aside though, well done to Iggy and Justin. Two years in a row is pretty special.

This is hilarious. What a whiny bunch of losers.

I have never read such a long list of winging crap...you all need a tablespoon of cement so you can harden the fuck up.

It is a great idea, it raises the awareness of the problem outside of people who already know what the issue is, such as tourists... this is the problem area. Not Aussie’s that already know about the flags.

So if you present an idea to a client that solves the problem what are they going to do?

It incorporated print, it was cheap (media placement) and raised awareness among the real target.

Great stuff boys!

That is all

Will someone just post the ad and save us all.

post the ad.

GET OVER IT! The best team won.

This is all about jealousy.

No matter who won, someone would've found something to whinge about. Ashley Ringrose was judging cyber and Soap had two finalists - has everyone conveniently forgotten that? This is personal to Justin and Iggy and DDB - people are pissed off because they didn't win. If the Soap guys won, would everyone be saying the same thing here? Like someone previously mentioned, if you're in a top ten agency there is bound to be agency/network conflict. It's reality. As for it not being a print ad - again jealousy because an ad that elaborated on it's idea won and they didn't think of it.

Why does everyone care so much that Justin and Iggy won?! Everyone needs to get over themselves.

Well done to all the finalists and well done to Justin and Iggy. Good luck in Cannes.

Agreed. If I had a dollar for every excuse a bitter creative has thrown out there for why they didnt win. Yawn.

Judging from the picture of their work that won it looks pretty weak.

Mum, why can't I go to Cannes? said:

BOO HOO,
Your entry wasn't good enough? Your friend’s entry wasn't good enough? Or someone you knows entry wasn't good enough and hence it didn’t win. You blame everything else and make excuses why these talented lads took the top spot you or someone you know didn’t. A saying comes to mind, ‘excuses are like arseholes, everyone has one’. Was it rigged last year too? I think not. Jealousy is a disgusting display of weak character, and territory of the talentless.

Well done to ALL this year’s winners, it a shame this blog has morphed into a sad list of hatred and not something of substance.

Have a great time: Andrew Fergusson, Natalie Cheng, Robert Wynn-Jones,
Kate Martin, Justin Carew and Iggy Rodriguez.

Simon Hipgrave,

good on you for posting your work and compared to what I can see of the other "winning" entry I think it's more on brief and a better ad.

It's just unfortunate that your CD was judging the work this year.

well done simon

A few words to the repetitive twat that keeps pushing for a corrupt judges verdict:

Maybe one day, when you get to judge award shows, big or small, you will get to see how it works. In the meantime I'll tell you so hopefully you get it. Judges are there to judge what is the best work. In turn they are judged by how well they judge. They know this and I doubt would push for inferior work just because it was from their agency. In fact usually they abstain from judging their own agency's work and surrender a decision to the rest of the panel. The ad world is not as corrupt as you think, this may suprise you but most of the other judges I've met take it quite seriously and push for the best work. There is discussion and debate and out the other end pops what is deemed to be the best work.

What you are implying is as offensive to the judges as accusing a Gynaecologist of copping a cheap feel.

The way you keep reiterating the same point suggests to me you're in denial about not winning and blaming the judging process just makes it easier for you to deal with. Show some respect to the guys who give up their time to help juniors - they don't have to do it.

A few words to the kid(s) throwing a tanty about whether the winning ad was a print ad or not:

How do you think the ad got on the page? Maybe it was, fuck i don't know, Printed?

It's prob not the way your entry looked but it doesn't make it wrong. Open your mind - ordinary ads that boringly 'keep to the rules' don't win in real life either.

And to the winners:

Good on you fellas. You took a punt and it came in first - I like that.

Henry Ford said:

If I'd given the people what they were asking for I would have invented a faster horse.

Simon Hipgrave, you can hold your head high.

Wannabe Planner said:

Funny that I would have thought every creative should question the brief. It's there for guidance but it's not the holy grail. Talk to your planner, talk to your client.

Find the idea that speaks to your audience and deliver it in a brilliant way.

I like when people (not just creatives by the way) think a little bit broader. In other countries young creatives developed applications & products to answer the brief. Stick to the rules but don't be conservative.

Focus on the idea, not the medium.

Let me be the first to tell you that it definitely isn't safe swimming between my legs

Sorry Simon, that's a press ad not a print ad.

Just a technicality. ;)

Sometimes I wonder about award shows. I wonder whether they reward excellence in creative communication or excellence in creativity obscurity.

To be honest a lot of stuff only really stands out as different when you compare it to every ad that's ever ran in that category since Helmut Krone was a boy.

To most people I don't think a fair amount of work actually communicates (y'know, that end result we're all trying to achieve).

And that my friends is a fucking farce.

I actually think Simon's idea is smarter and definitely more powerful to all people who go to the beach. Not just tourists.

Well done mate.

The people who are whinging aren't full of shit. Sorry. They are actually people who care about the people who busted their ass to try and win and who then got fucked by a rigged bullshit competition. For once I am siding with the whingers because they aren't actually whinging, they are complaining about a competition that fucked a lot of people.

Peace out mother fuckers.

Wow. A lot of people are pretty upset. Perhaps News Limited should take a closer look methinks.

Lordy. What's going to happen to you delicate little flowers when your work doesn't get into the real Cannes, or AWARD, or One Sow, or CLIO or even Mobius?

It'll always be the judges fault, won't it?

You're hard done by. Misunderstood. Almost there. So fucking close.

Welcome to advertising.

that's some ugly clothing

2:48, Check out the current MADC entry 3 blogs down for reference

I really don't think this idea would do anything to save lives. I don't think people would want to buy shorts with two big yellow and red tags hanging off them unless you gave them to people.

Simon - I'd see if you can get that run. You need to get a legit client with a half decent ad spend; but that's any number of state departs (they all have funding set aside for safety in water the rtick is to get them to transfer some of the money from crappy flyers and into a few press ads....) Get in now and make a relationship with them as it'll take a good 5 months before anything happens and by then it'll be Summer. I really like your ad more than the winners. The winners' ad, if I saw it in their portfolio, I'd suggest that they take it out. Your ad, in my opinion, should be left in.

hahaha, i have to say all of this is hilarious. it's a competition for crying out loud! just a competition.

of course, i would have loved to pop across to cannes but the boys did a good job, thought bigger than brief and created a simple, effective solution.

and young or old, every creative knows there's NO SUCH THING AS OBJECTIVITY in any award show.

get used to it. get over it. and get on with it.

Just printed hundreds of t-shirts; TEAM HIPGRAVE and TEAM RODRIGUEZ.

Any takers?

Here is the winning entry for Interactive:

Wow... this News Limited competition really is a crock of shit.

Kids, unless your Creative Director is judging next year, don't bother wasting your time with an entry. Instead, focus your talents on real work for real clients.

Zoe Warne from August said:

Congrats to Simon for posting their work up - unreal concept guys. It was great to meet you both last Weds and share a bevvy (or two) with you.

Natalie and Andrew are going to rock it in in Cannes - couldn't have been won by a nicer, more switched on pair. Great execution and extension of the idea, can't wait to hear how you go.

Would love to still see work from other finalists - in both Cyber and Print, put em up people!

It was our first submission into an award like this so we've learnt a lot from the process. We were thrilled to be finalists, but can see lots of ways to improve for next year... we'll be back!

Simon Hipgrave's idea is fine. But there were AT LEAST seven others with exactly the same idea. It was one of the most common ideas submitted. For that reason, obviously, it was not even a contender.

I ran in a 100m running race and did high jump. Luckily I won because my boss was keeping the times.

Overall, the winning idea is pretty good... when you see it across all the mediums.

Unfortunately this is a competition. There were guidelines and rules set out from the start. Like, enter it on time. If Iggy and Justin handed it in 3 days late and claimed they were thinking outside the square would it count? I doubt it.

So, having said that, if we judge there idea based on the rules and guidelines. Their print/press ad is pretty lame. It is boring, uninformative and doesn't answer the brief.

This isn't bitching or a stab at the two dudes who won, it's simply a statement of fact. And I'm pretty sure this is why so many people are pissed off with the result.

Lynchy, it might be a good idea to pass these comments onto the people at SLSA.

6:46 PM, were you one of the judges?

7:40pm/DDB is saying that the judging process in advertising is always lily white are they?

Remember AWARD, when NAPCAN missed out? They were on this blog the next morning whining about 'factional juries'. Calling themselves 'victims'.

For the record, I was interested to read the CB article on those American blokes now CDs at Leo Burnetts, on the topic of juries one of them was asked whether there's any games played? His answer was "SADLY THERE ARE MANY". So there you go.

I'm not saying the decision stinks but it's obvious Matt Eastwood is insatiable about PRing DDB as the place to be for elite juniors. That video piece they did on the blog last year confirms that - they way he spoke about Carew and Iggy like they were his 'marquee' brands among his junior crop was fairly over the top.

I just don't reckon the winning work is that great. Good on you Hipgrave. Keep posting the other entries.

Oh! Now I get it!
I'm supposed to swim 'between' the flags.
That is brilliant.
I always wondered what those flags were for.
Very, very clever.

If any of the competition's organisers are reading this blog (and I sincerely hope they are) then may I suggest that you take the time to write next year's brief with a little more clarity?

If you're looking for an idea executed across multiple channels, please say so. If it doesn't really matter whether or not you create to the brief, please say so. This year's brief asked for "a campaign" yet in the same breath requested that entrants submit a "single press execution". What the fuck does that mean? No wonder you've got such a shitstorm on your hands here.

I'm really not surprised so many people feel so pissed off and misled. Obviously, if your ECD is one of the judges, it's pretty easy to get clarification on the finer points of this competition. But if you're not so fortunate, you're flying blind.

The winning entry stood out because of the scope of its execution. Any single element of it isn't really all that good at all, and I'm pretty sure that if the boys only entered the press execution, they would've been going nowhere.

Grossly unfair that they knew that they could stretch the solution so far, when many other competiting teams stupidly thought that they needed to stick to the brief.

And yes, I know that life isn't fair, and nor is advertising. But this is a competition for the kiddies in our business, and News Ltd and the people running this show needed to show a sense of fair play, professionalism and probity.

When Iggy and Juzzy get to Cannes and are asked to create a single print execution, that's EXACTLY what they'll do - because they KNOW that the judges and organisers in Cannes have their shit together and won't take into account additional executions.

Just as the judges and organisers in this competition should have.

Very, very disappointing outcome for the entrants and the organisers.

Well, it looks like the credibility of this competition has taken a major hit.

And to all the people who say "But they've taken the idea further" and "that's the way things work in the real world", I say this:

In the juries I've sat on, I've never once heard anyone say, "We'll give it a gong based on all the peripheral stuff" - that's why we have categories. It seems that the category for this competition wasn't asking for an integrated campaign or a ambient idea, it was asking for a press ad. Pure and simple.

If a team wants to go beyond that, they need to make sure that they tick the 'press ad' box first and foremost. And put simply, the winning entry just doesn't stand up on the press component alone.

Nicely put 11.36

Twenty3 said:

Congratulations justin and Iggy! Well done on two in a row boys! I suppose we are to believe you rigged the silver in cannes last year as well? Go and represent Australia and bring home gold! Obviously the judging panel liked your entry best, just like clients chose the work they like best. As for all you whingers, go and remove the sour grapes that are hanging off you like a fierce case of haemoroids!

I'd love to know how they managed to fit all that work onto a single piece of A3 board with the entry form attached, as specified in the brief.

A3, A2, five consecutive A3 boards, what's the difference? Only dickheads and people who thought the competition had a single set of rules for everyone would bother to adhere to them.

ps. if you won the previous year, wouldn't you move on with your career and give other juniors their 15 mins of fame?

DDB bitching about NAPCAN getting a poor rep at AWARD is hilarious, considering the idea done by people not even listed on the credits.

Factional juries my arse. It's called Karma.

Rule number one of advertising (when it comes to tenders, pitches... and competitions for that matter): There are no rules.

Come on all you whingers, give these guys their moment in the sun!

Dana Macklin said: