Toyota runs the gauntlet in Stink-produced extravaganza via Publicis Mojo, Sydney

Screen shot 2011-05-26 at 6.30.11 AM.jpgA car is torture tested to see if it stands up to Toyota's quality standards in this spectacular spot via Publicis Mojo, Sydney, produced by London production company, Stink and directed by Paris-based Pleix, a virtual community of digital artists based in Paris.

The spot is currently on air in Australia and a cinema version will run soon.

VIEW THE SPOT

Thats the way Mojo! Great support for the local production and post industries. Little wonder Hyundai is smashing your client in the marketplace - you guys are so out of touch with the Australian economy. The consumer can see you dont know what you're doing and have no handle on, nor any interest in being a part of, the Australian economy. Hopefully your client paid for a few of you to go to Europe on a sneaky junket too. Take what you can while you're still on the roster, ay?

Seems kind of douchey and contrived after Toyota nearly had me convinced they'd done a brand turn-around with the glass-organs spot.

I didn't have anything to do with this spot, and I don't know anyone who did. But I really love it. It's big, single minded and memorable. It's different enough for the category, without being so quirky it loses half the punters along the way. Sure the idea's been done for Wattyl. But I bet you a hundred bucks Wattyl didn't come up with it first either. And besides, this execution kicks Solaguard's arse. Great track, enough humour to keep people engaged and big post-Soviet feel. Great stuff. Over to you, haters.

'brand turn-around with the glass-ordinary corporate video'...don't think so. Agree with 11:02 It's big, single minded and memorable.

Thanks 11:02 -- just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean I'm a hater.

I find the music choice really terrible. Same goes for the VO talent.

Zen Cohen said:

@8:22
Wattyl Solarguard was bargain bin 3D and vfx done locally by the Lab, and this Toyota spot was executed by Pleix in Paris with production channeled through Stink in London, both shops at the top of their game with stunning photography, set design, photo-real digital models and effects. There is absolutely no comparison, except the slightest similarity in the concept of a factory testing laboratory putting a product through the extremes of exposure.
@7:30
Your Aussie industry protectionism is beyond absurd in a global economy and truly betrays your limited, provincial mindset. By your comments, you'd have Animal Logic or Fin restricted from doing animation and vfx for top US and UK directors and production companies, and the best local directors, Rogers, Malloy, Davis, the Glues prohibited from doing great work abroad, because your same logic would apply to the Yanks and the Brits when it comes to working locally. Mojo chose the best creative partners to execute a strong visual idea, and the results are there for anyone with an eye to see.
@9:17
'Kind of douchey and contrived'? Is this the level that commentary has sunk to on the blog?

Be the best, use the best, travel anywhere, and encourage others to come here to use those whose work competes globally on a creative level. Have an opinion by all means, remain anonymous or out yourself if you'd like, no matter, but please make those opinons informed and intelligent, lest everyone in the world will be convinced that 9:17 and friends represent the norm down under.

Let's see if we can collectively restrain ourselves from the mind numbing and the banal shall we, because the opportunity that the CBB represents as an honest forum for the industry is a commodity too precious to waste.

7.30am do you have anything to do with creative?
What you wrote is just silly. Who the hell gets into creative to help the Australian economy?

Film Industry player said:

All other comments aside, I believe this TVC could have been shot and produced here to the same standards as those from London and Paris. That said, a great production overall. Well done to all those concerned. Next time give the locals a try.

Hey I just want to see a Toyota survive a flame thrower - bet it doesn't - if I try it at home will Toyota give me a new car

Look, it's identical to the Wattyl ad. That's not my issue. My issue is that it's not very well done. If I'd commissioned this work from a company in Paris I'd be wondering why I'd bothered.

Taking this production off shore is a total wankfest.

Anyone got an online link to this ad? We here in NZ sadly cannot see it.

Shot in NZ, posted in Paris, on a much reduced budget - because of the Pleix relationship. This ad is not half as expensive as it looks, and that's an achievement. Stop with the protectionist claims - without knowing the facts.

@2:22

I'm sure Australian Production company's would come to the party given the chance.

Bearded Guy from Mythbusters said:

@Zen Cohen

Blah, blah, blah effects, production channeling, industry protectionism. You're boring me to death. Fact is, if you gave me a Toyota, any Toyota, and put it through those tests in REAL life, not effects-land, it wouldn't come out of the tunnel looking like a car.
Effects are great when they enhance a story. But not when they lie to the consumer.

Douche.

Fair enough 2:41. But this was one half of a full budget for other spots as well.
We have no issue with Aussie production companies...the directors had a preferred post house. We went with their recommend. It happens. No slight intended.

Er - I'm sure the Australian production companies would be far more expensive.

Strong dollar's going to kill lots of work

Yeah 7.30 AM, Warney could have shot it.

Zen said:

@3:55
If you were actually The Bearded Guy from Mythbusters, you'd be far more intelligent, and certainly more articulate than you are here in print. That guy is amazing, but you're clearly not he.

Yes, ignorant people are frequently bored to death we've heard tell, because they have precious little imagination and very few resources of intellect to draw from. We sympathise, but it is difficult for the majority of us without your marked defects to relate, more or less to empathise or to suffer the relentless drivel.

The conditions that the Toyota is being put through in 'effects land' as you call it, are a metaphor for supremely harsh climate conditions. They are not to be taken literally, just as any filmed story is a creation of the writers and visual artists, not 'REAL life', but reel life. I think most viewers, most consumers will understand that the commercial is creating a myth space, not an authentic one, and unlike yourself, they'll understand the reference, the communication and appreciate the visual treat on offer. That's the objective of the spot, a branding exercise with a bit of an exaggerated boast about the product with a wink and a nod to sophisticated film imagery.

There always seems to be a few like yourself in every walk of life who lower the curve and force others to travel at a slower pace, waiting for your like to catch up, helping the challenged along. Maybe we should talk to Lynchy and see if he can create a lower tiered blog for you and your mates, so you can take things at your own pace, with your own level of literacy, and not be such a bother to the rest of us.

It's not very well done - and the v/o is appalling.

This is a take on this Pleix spot, which I liked:

Am I hearing that Toyota Australia takes all their commercials off shore? That would make for some good press in the papers.

Fake demonstration ads again? Absolute shit.

So the demonstrations aren't real?

Doesn't quite cut it against 'It also sticks handles to teapots' then.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Got my attention. And it looks nice.