Ad Impact's Drew Ridley & Neil Martin win CB/The West Australian Caxton Creative Exercise

2010CaxtonComp_14.JPGAd Impact duo Drew Ridley and Neil Martin have won this year's Campaign Brief/The West Australian Caxton Creative Exercise with an innovative campaign for Midalia Steel.

The West Australian's Andrew Sculthorpe (pictured left with Ridley and Martin) made thge announcement last night at a presentation at Alaturka in Subiaco.

Their winning campaign uses a fence printed on film transparency. When drawn slowly across the image printed on the newspaper page, it animates animals running. Watch a demo here:
Midalia Steel_Horse.mov

One of this year's judges, Jim Aitchison, author of Cutting Edge Advertising, in which he collected some of the world's best press ads, described the Midalia campaign as "both relevant and compelling."

"Everyone talks about bringing the printed page to life - well, these guys have done it!"
Last year's winners Julia Elton-Bott and Guy Hamilton-Howlett went very close to repeating their success, again with an ad for IKEA. It would have been Elton-Bott's fifth successive win in the competition, now in its seventh year.

Also very close in third place was The Brand Agency's two-page 'Oil' execution for RAC Auto Services by Josh Edge and Rikki Burns.

Besides Aitchison, judges for this year's competition were Saatchi & Saatchi Sydney ECD Steve Back, Michael Canning from Leo Burnett Sydney, Mother London ECD Mark Waites and former O&M Worldwide Creative Director Neil French.

This year was the strongest ever in the competition, with several of the entries being potential award-winners internationally.

2010CaxtonComp_7.JPG 2010CaxtonComp_13.JPG2010CaxtonComp_12.JPG2010CaxtonComp_10.JPG2010CaxtonComp_9.JPG2010CaxtonComp_8.JPG
2010CaxtonComp_6.JPG2010CaxtonComp_5.JPG2010CaxtonComp_4.JPG2010CaxtonComp_3.JPG2010CaxtonComp_2.JPG2010CaxtonComp_1.JPG

Andrew tinning said:

Congrats once again guys it was a well deserved win that couldn't have happened to a nicer couple of blokes.also to the West-thanks again for your support of the creative industry through this great comp

Neil Martin said:

Thanks heaps Andrew. Cheers!

Allan Dente said:

Well done boys. World class.

Fourth picture down, right-hand side. Now THAT is a muthafuckin' beard. Good work fella

PGav said:

That is an epic beard, it looks like it came with the outfit.
Oh, and the entries were also very impressive...but that beard...

Brilliant!!!

OK I like the idea but it did immediately remind me of this book my kids used to have
Kind of falls into the realm of taking a you youtube video and 're-purposing' it for a commercial message. I'm really in two minds about how I feel about this.

Nadia said:

Congrats guys! I'm really proud that your creativity and hard work has been recognised.... straight to the pool room ;)

That is a scam beard, created expressly for the Caxton Awards. It won't travel well - except maybe to the Pakistan-Afghan border

Congrats to Ross Dungy and Adam Cannell who have mastered the art of the press photo pose.

Birtan Erkut (Birt) said:

what about the fantastic venue??

Disappointed with 303's offering - especially given their much hyped Head of Art appointment before Christmas. As it was, Marketforce, Brand and Meerkats led the way.

Hey neil, im so proud of u buddy. this is really kick ass work. Congrats and all the best. hope the awards keep pouring in. this is such a great idea. love it.

I don't think 303 entered much stuff. I only saw a Red Rooster ad. Maybe they were busy or maybe they were really bad and CB never showed them.

Adam said:

I swear I wasn't ready for the photo. I was just telling Paul how much I love his jacket and I was just feeling the fabric because it looked so soft and I turned around and there was a camera in my face... you can imagine my surprise when I saw the flash.

6.47
Everyone is busy so that is no excuse and if they were that bad surely the cd or head of art should have made them better? I remember when the Caxton competition brought out the best in every agency in town. Kids today.

Mick McDermott said:

Excellent win Drew and Neil, determination and imagination... failsafe.