303 MullenLowe announces Al Taylor to step down at year's end after 17 years with the agency

AlTaylor_November2017_BLOG2.jpg
303 MullenLowe has announced that Al Taylor, Chairman of 303 MullenLowe in Perth, is leaving the company he first joined in 2000 when it was 303 Advertising.

"After 17 incredible years, I have made the decision to leave 303 MullenLowe. It certainly hasn't been the easiest call, but I feel it's the right time for me and the business with a great leadership team in place, who have exciting plans for the future," said Taylor. "I leave extremely proud and satisfied. We have done some amazing things at 303. Off the back of our local success we took the brand east and successfully built it there to be the biggest independently owned agency in the country. Just that alone is an amazing feat for a Perth-based agency.

"Then we partnered with IPG's MullenLowe and nationally, the brand has gone from strength to strength. Along the way, we have done some of the best work in the country - work that has actually changed lives, created a really unique agency culture and made many lifelong friends. It has been a wonderful adventure, but now, I am ready for the next one. Of course, I am committed to providing the team with strategic support on key clients and partners over the next few months."
Beyond his success at the agency, Taylor also played a key role in developing the industry broadly, spending three years as Chair of The Communications Council in WA, and was named Ad Person of the Year at the 2014 Campaign Brief Awards.

Nick Cleaver, CEO of 303 MullenLowe Australia, said: "It is with some sadness that we announce Al's decision to leave the 303 MullenLowe business. He has been a major contributor to the 303 story and to the business' success and he will be dearly missed. He has been a great partner to work with - it's to his credit he leaves the business in great shape with a talented management team in place. We are delighted Al will continue to advise the business in the immediate future to ensure a well orchestrated handover."

Derry Simpson, Group Managing Director of 303 MullenLowe Perth, said: "Al has been the most amazing mentor, business partner and friend to me over the past 10 years. He has been pivotal to the evolution of 303 and its integrated offering, and an indelible part of our agency's success. He has also done a great job of putting a very capable leadership team in place before stepping down. He is the true gentleman of advertising in WA. We love him, we'll miss him but we are also excited to see what the next chapter brings for Al."

Richard Berney, Executive Creative Director of 303 MullenLowe Perth, said: "What I've always loved about working with Al is how excited he gets around great work. He's part MD... part ad junkie. That kind of basic love for what we do has infused a daily energy at every level of 303, and I never tire of watching him light up - as well as everyone around him."

Roger Farley said:

All I can say is to thank Al for his great support, guidance and knowledge sharing over the past many years. He has been a part of my business over many years and businesses. It’s been a great adventure with many well deserved accolades along the way.
Clients need creative agencies we trust and that push the boundaries to get really great work to push the same message from so many different angles.
I will miss the mateship and support mentoring we have shared.
A huge thanks Al, sharing a legacy that will continue to engage and deliver!!

Good on you Al said:

Job well done. Good luck for the next stage of your career

John Linton said:

End of one amazing journey and now on to the next. Thanks for the mentorship and anecdotes Al.

Emma Watton said:

Wow Al! Big news there. It's been one hell of a journey and you and the team have created something incredible in 303. Congratulations on what you have achieved and the very best of luck for the future.

Hoodoo to the Guru said:

I love the way you talk, you walk
You smile, your style
Like now, like wow-wipeout, no doubt
But I was gone the moment I laid eyes on you

Beatrice Masia said:

Hola, Al you already know what you mean to me. You gave me my 1st job in Perth when I arrived fresh from Paris some 17 years ago... Since then you've been an amazing mentor, support and friend. What can I say other than salud e força al canut! Besos.

The Jobless Writer at Will Think for Salary said:

Standing ovation, mate.
Blind Justus reunion tour starts... now.
Tour t-shirt/poster/website concepts to you tomorrow!

Ric Cairns said:

Let me echo Richard's comment, Al: as far back as the paleolithic FCB Shorter days, you were creative's #1 ally and advocate; an account guy with an eye for ideas and the enthusiasm to push for great ones and protect them from harm. But more importantly, over many years, you were a mate who made work fun and kept me sane. Bon voyage, Fish.

Chris said:

Al what great innings and commitment to 303. Can't wait to hear what you get up to next.

Tom said:

Absolute champion Al. Well done on a great stint. Pretty bloody good for a drummer!

Alisia Mumby said:

Al, your ad industry prowess shines bright! Be proud xx

Les Corner said:

Take a bow Al. Such a great career, so much achieved, love your work.
Don't draw the curtain just yet.

Paul Yole said:

All the best Al. And congratulations for all you've achieved. Now would be a good time to do something for yourself.

Tom Martin said:

Good innings Al. You always played with a straight bat which is rare and admirable.

Nic Chamberlain said:

I haven't been on this site for 5 years, but this deserves a return. Good luck Al, you are an absolute scholar and a gentleman, it was a pleasure working with you for half a decade, you were so phenomenally welcoming and supportive to an Easterner. Whatever you do next, it'll no doubt be equal parts magnificent, inspiring and fun.

Call me when you are next here please.

Nic x